Saturday, August 20, 2016

Mimi's Rapid Fire Reviews for Mockingbird #6, Green Arrow #5, Briggs Land #1 and more!



Hi world, my name's Mimi and here's my reviews for Briggs Land #1, Batgirl and the  Birds of Prey #1, Green Arrow #5,  Suicide Squad #1, Supergirl Rebirth #1, Demonic #1, I Hate Fairyland #8, All New Wolverine #11,  Captain America Sam Wilson #12,  Mockingbird #6 and Spider Woman #10

Briggs Land #1

Female mobster story? Hell yeah! Female mobster story that's actually a badass mother trying to take control of her husbands empire when she's totally been doing it all along? I'm all for this and am excited to see where the rest of this story goes.

I don't read enough Dark Horse comics but every one that I do, I always enjoy from start to finish. The art work in Briggs Land is a lot like Slash and Burn, so I already can tell I'm going to be enamoured by the art throughout this series.

I always appreciate how first issues establish characters and this one got to do it through the fun ''Good VS Bad'' cops/FBI vs mobsters approach with the detectives looking through the information they have on Briggs Land. It's a lot like Queen of the South so I appreciate that as well and can't wait to see more of this mom fighting her damn Family for control. Breakfast is going to be chaotic!

  • What I liked most:  The filler pages actually, loved the detail.
  • What I disliked most:  DON'T BLOW UP THE SOLDIER!
  • Rating:  4 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
I've been a Briggs since I was seventeen years old. I've gotten pretty good at it.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #1


I'm so happy this series has been rebooted. I missed my bad ass lady trio kicking ass and taking names. Unlike last months issue, I purposely avoided reading anything else but the tiny blurb that came out about this issue that's on DC's website. I wanted to remain surprised and I'm thrilled I did. I love Dinah's Point of View on Babs and Huntress, she's just fantastic. The art is great for this series and I'm loving where this story is going.


One thing I'm really enjoying in Rebirth is how little everyone really seems to know about what's going on. I'm kind of happy not everyone is aware of what's happening and those that do (that I know of are just Wally, Barry, Batman, Huntress and Wonder Woman at the moment) aren't overly chatty about it. The event is still causing ripples throughout the DC Verse. 

I can't wait to see actually is the Oracle at the moment and am curious to see how exactly Babs, Helena and Dinah will handle he/she when they come face to face. I'm all for this fighting Mobsters in Gotham plot line, BRING IT BATGIRL AND THE BIRDS OF PREY TEAM, TAKE ALL OF MY MONEY NOW! 
  • What I liked most:  Dinah's monologues and sass with Babs.
  • What I disliked most:  NOT SNAKES!
  • Rating:  5 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
Oh honey, I'm not the one who's gonna be sorry today.

Green Arrow #5


I had to remind myself at the end of the issue that it was issue five and the end of the story arch that's been going on for the past four months before I threw the comic across the room. This was not a bad throw, it was one of those ''NO BOOK, BAD FEELINGS!'' because I actually loved the ending. Even though it hurt more than it probably should have.

Green Arrow's rebirth has been a lot of fun for me and brought back more of my love for the character than I've had in awhile. I appreciate that since I really enjoy the Green Arrow world and the fantastic human being that is Black Canary.

This issue brought Diggle and Oliver together to be 'bro's' (and I'm excited to see how that back story plays off for the two of them now) and Dinah and Emi being badasses together. It was great seeing the teams change things up and I'm pumped to see what happens from issue six on!
  • What I liked most:  Emi's conversation with Oliver. Also the Dinah and Oliver kiss with Emi covering her eyes. Cuties.
  • What I disliked most:  SHADO, GIRL, no, stop it!
  • Rating:  out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
Hey Dante, remember me? I'm the one you mistook for a victim.

Suicide Squad #1


Oh look, a comic that's really, really, similar to the movie. How shocking.

Alright, now that I've got that out of my system, no wait, still have to say it. This was like a space version of the movie in about fourteen pages. It was quick and to the point, we got our team established, we got some crash humor and that's really about it? I'm going to continue reading the series but I'm hoping it picks up the pace more in the next months issue. It wasn't really anything new for me to read, it was just pretty art and some really, really, basic set up.

Do I recommend this issue? Sure, if you liked the movie and don't really know where to start, pick this up. I've got my fingers crossed the El Diablo will pop up at some point because he was one of my favorites in the movie. 
  • What I liked most:  Harley actually wearing a REBIRTH t-shirt.
  • What I disliked most:  
  • Rating:  2.5 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
Oh there's a Pokecutey up here!

Supergirl Rebirth #1

So this issue literally shot Kara off into the sun to recharge her powers. That was one way to start the Rebirth world for Supergirl and while I found it both entertaining and kind of stupid, I liked it.  Much like The Flash and Green Arrow rebirth comics, characters from the show have been brought back into the comics. I'm fine with, I get it, they want to make it new reader friendly/touch the TV fan base as well. 

I'm kind of excited for high school Supergirl drama and I have my fingers crossed she befriends the pretty Goth girl she walked past before she went off to go deal with armored assailantsKara's an adorable ray of sunshine (pun intended) and I'm excited for all of her adventures. I didn't read the All New Adventures of Supergirl like I planned to but I think I'll be just fine with DC  Rebirth Supergirl for now.  
  • What I liked most:  Kara's banter with her parents.
  • What I disliked most:  Red Kryptonite wolf form. Meh. 
  • Rating:  3.5 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
Damn, look at her go. And here's us, the adorable slow-moving human parents. 

Demonic #1


Every time Kat sends me my list of comics and I've got an Image comic on it, I know I'm probably in for a wild, wild ride. And once again, that's what happened. When the first issue comes around, I rarely know what I'm getting into, I just trust whatever Kat, Jay, Jeremy and Chris tell me to check out. So far no one's steered me wrong.

Demonic is exactly what the title says, it's freaking demonic. I love the artwork in this story and I'm all for crazy demon things. While I've kind of given up on Outcast due to it's pacing, I feel like because of the premise being ''Kill every night for me or I ruin your life'' plot point being established, I'll be keeping up on this series. I'm all for dramatic cop stories and even more for crazy demon murder things because frankly that always leads to beautiful artwork even when it's being gruesome because you know, murder. 

I'm rooting for our lead, which is always you know, a good thing, and I'm all for his bizarre passed being a deep buried memory. 

  • What I liked most:  That white mask, it's so creepy in it's own unique way.
  • What I disliked most:  I'M WORRIED FOR THE KID. Not that I dislike that I'm worried.
  • Rating:  4.5 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
Lighten up, Graves. I'm allowed to use your past against you, Mr. Sensitive. It's in the partner manual. 

I Hate Fairyland #8


Funny story, I forgot to read issue seven of I Hate Fairyland aka Fuck Fairyland from last month but I was just fine with reading this months. Gertrude is still trying to get home and in this issue she had a great video game style fight sequence for a majority of the comic that made me think of Scott Pilgrim VS The World and I appreciated that. Gertrude is just such a horrible character but she's fantastic to read and see how others deal with her. I don't know when, but I do plan on buying the first trade because this series is just priceless. 

I'm curious to see when Duncan will come back into play at some point or if he's just going to be a two shot comic character that we will never see again. Fingers crossed he comes back at the eventual end of the series to wreak havoc on Gertrude and well, everything. Just because he's in a dragon costume now doesn't mean he won't somehow be a dragon later.

  • What I liked most:  The way the art changed inside the game!
  • What I disliked most:  The cat but he was still very entertaining.
  • Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  

I have been asking Santa to put me out of misery for a long while. Stupid jolly pacifist.
All New Wolverine #11


Sighs for eternity because I REALLY DIDN'T WANT THAT DEATH TO HAPPEN. I also haven't read the rest of Captain America's new series so I don't know if anyone is even aware of the whole HYDRA bullshit but I digress.

This was another action packed issue so thanks for that All New Wolverine team. This is really the only X-Men based series I've been reading for the past 11 months if you don't count the new X-Men Civil War 2 series. I've enjoyed every cross over issue and I enjoyed all of the pages of this issue too until that damn ending. I mean yeah, it had to happen to further the plot blah, blah, blah, still doesn't mean I have to like it.
  • What I liked most:  Gabby being all adorable over Cap.
  • What I disliked most:  You'll know the page when you read it! 
  • Rating:  4 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
I'm hanging up, I have a very small army to deal with.

Captain America Sam Wilson #12


Oh Sam, I'm sorry you have this AmeriCorps stuff to deal with but I'd rather you be fighting this political battle than dealing with more of the Civil War 2 drama. Stay away from it for as long as you can.

Sam, Falcon and Rage spend this issue dealing with a bunch of AmeriCorps that Rage started fighting in last months issue. Sam has Falcon hover for a bit until he asks him to swoop in and bring Rage away from the fight before Sam get's birds involved to help himself escape. It was actually pretty sweet and I'm happy that his bird abilities came back into play. I'm also really happy that Sam's got someone at his side next to Misty being her BAMF self and has a side-kick/partner like Daredevil's got Blindspot. It's just nice to see him have a 'bro' at his side to help him fight. Even if he's being a 'helicopter parent' at the moment.

This was a good issue, I like where it's going, I'm just hoping it stays away from more of the Civil War 2 stuff while this chaos goes on.
  • What I liked most:  Falcon.
  • What I disliked most:  Damn political animals but we aren't supposed to like them.
  • Rating: 3.5 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
Dangerous? Dude! I have a healing factor! i'm invincible like Wolverine! Before he got killed. 

Mockingbird #6


Damn Mockingbird, back at it again with the fantastic issue!

This is the start of Bobbi's Civil War 2 story arch time and like the Power-Man and Iron Fist  stuff, I really enjoyed this! Bobbi is literally on a Nerd Cruise going to the Bermuda Triangle, what's not to love? The cruise didn't even get to the Bermuda Triangle in this issue and I already love where it's going (puns intended). I love that Bobbi is off on this 'startling obvious setup' mission to try and get some information on Clint's trial. It's very impulsive and very well, Bobbi.

Mockingbird is always worth the $3.99 and I appreciate all of the effort that's put into this series. I'm thrilled it's an on going series and not a short like I was thinking for far too long because now I get to continue to throw the comic at my friends and demand they read it and if they've already read it, demand they do it again with me. 

I'm really relieved that Mockingbird's filler issue for the Civil War 2 stuff is as enjoyable as I'd hope it be. If you haven't read it yet, WHAT'S STOPPING YOU?!
  • What I liked most:  A tie between Hunter's shirts and Bobbi's pool commentary.
  • What I disliked most:  Uh????
  • Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  I had so many but it has to be this one,
Naturally I'm here for the Annual Royal Society of Corgi Enthusiasts retreat.

Spider Woman #10 


Woohoo, another Civil War 2 kind of filler issue thing. Lucky me, THANK'S MARVEL FOR MAKING THREE OUT OF MY ELEVEN COMICS  (FOUR OF THEM BEING MARVEL) THIS WEEK BE CIVIL WAR 2 TIE INS.

Alright, not that I've gotten that out of my system, let me briefly discuss this issues.

Last month, Carol asked Jess to go and investigate Ulysses, this month we got to see Jess, Ben and various other friends of hers do just that. It was fun, cute and much more enjoyable than I thought it'd be. But than again, I've quickly been reminded that Jessica Drew is a fantastic lady and her sass is great. I loved her and Ben discussing this whole ordeal, and like Luke, Danny, Patsy and Jessica Jones, none of them are at all pleased by this whole ordeal. I love how many characters are like 'NOPE I'M OUT!'' which has sadly each been followed by some death and or near death situation that drags them into the freaking event but I digress. Still nice to see a few characters 'rebel' against the whole thing.

I'm all for Jessica going off to talk to Carol and get involved in the Barton V Hulk case. Very curious to see how it'll play out next month but hope that Jess will get to go back to her own thing in October.

  • What I liked most:  Jess is off to get more answers and probably go kick more ass for Clint.
  • What I disliked most:  Stupid tie in issue I'm having. 
  • Rating:  4.5 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
Well that's because she's an idiot who loves to fuck with me.

My Rankings for the Week; 

  1. Mockingbird #6
  2. Green Arrow #5
  3. Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #1
  4. Spider Woman #10
  5. Demonic #1
  6. I Hate Fairyland #8
  7. Briggs Land #1
  8. Captain America Sam Wilson #12
  9. Supergirl Rebirth #1
  10. All New Wolverine #11
  11. Suicide Squad #1

Mimi Schweid Related Links!


Let us know in the comments what you think of this Comic Frontline article, and don't forget to follow us on Twitter for the latest Previews, Reviews, News and Interviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment