Sunday, November 27, 2016

Mimi's Rapid Fire Reviews for; Spider-Gwen #14, The Ultimates 2 #1, The Hellblazer #4 and more!


Hi world, my name's Mimi Schweid and here's my reviews for Spider-Gwen #14, The Ultimates 2 issue 1, Batgirl #5, Wonder Woman #11, Detective Comics #945, Civil War 2 #7 and The Hellblazer #4


Spider-Gwen #14

So I've been reading Spider-Gwen for a while now thanks to Kat. I really enjoy this series and it's crossovers with Spider-Woman and Silk, that was seriously one of my favorite crossovers I've read in awhile. This issue talked about Gwen still being powerless, at least according to Jessica Drew because my boy, who is being way more of an asshole in this series and I kinda love it, Matt Murdock told her she can't use them yet. George is in jail and Matt is his lawyer. It's all kinds of sassy and I love it.

Jessica and Roger pop up for Thanksgiving and also have to go fight the Koala Kommander who declares during the Thanksgiving parade, ''Run, Americans! Flee the Koala Kommander! For if Australia can't have Thanksgiving.. No one can!''
  • What I liked most:  I love, love, love, the relationships in this series.
  • What I disliked most:  I was mixed on the art.
  • Rating:  4.5 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
You two are cute. Deal with it. 
***I also loved Gwen's Thanksgiving speech. 
The Ultimates 2 issue 1

Just to be clear, I only read maybe two issues of the The Ultimates series/run that took place before this. SO, that previously page made me snicker.

Things I Liked;

  • The base in the Marianas Trench.
  • Blue Marvel's super computer thing.
  • Blue Marvel trying to understand Spectrum more helped me understand her.
  • ''The Vidalia Diner. Even when it's busy, it's not busy.''
  • ''Speaking of creepy, have you seen Stranger Things it is such a good show.'' Imaging T'Challa watching STRANGER THINGS and thinking it CREEPY is fantastic. 
  • America Chavez as the leader of the Ultimates, thank you so very much team for doing this. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Because of that ending I'm totally going to pick up The Ultimates 2 issue 2 next month.
  • What I liked most:  T'Challa's really stupid cover identity, I was laughing so much when I read that first scene. LUKE CHARLES, dead.
  • What I disliked most:  The art at points threw me off a bit.
  • Rating: 5  out of 5 BECAUSE OF THAT ENDING.
  • Favorite quote:  
Science is looking at the magic in the world, the beauty and seeing the inner beauty that makes it work. That makes us fall in love with it. 
Batgirl #5
Nanananananana BATGIRL IS KICKING ASS IN JAPAN STILL.  SO I'M BEHIND ON BATGIRL BEYOND BURNSIDE (I know this is the end) and BATGIRL AND THE BIRDS OF PREY BUT I'M WORKING ON FIXING THAT.

This issue wrapped up the story arch I'm only I think two issues behind on but I didn't mind the spoilers. I love some good old fashion Babs kicking ass fights so yeah. I'm thrilled Bab's was able to not only kick the Teacher's ass, keep Kai safe and go off to Burnside and apparently team up with Poison Ivy according to the little blurb for the next issue. I love the art that this run had and I hope it continues for the next one!
  • What I liked most: Babs, you amazing girl you. I love seeing how she imagines the fights playing out in her head.
  • What I disliked most:  
  • Rating: 5  out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
Come back teacher, class isn't over yet!
Wonder Woman #11

SO, like Detective Comics and Batgirl, I got insanely behind on this series due to when it came out combined with the fact it was a twice monthly series. Nevertheless, God Damn this ended on such a sad note. I loved it though, it was done so well. I'm happy Diana  is aware even though it was very emotional for her. The art is still just as amazing to me as it was the last time I picked up a Wonder Woman Rebirth issue so thanks DC.

I'm looking forward to going back and reading the other eight issues I'm totally behind on from this story arch while I wait to read the rest of the Wonder Woman Rebirth story-lines that are coming out. Diana hasn't exactly had an easy run in this Rebirth series but I know at the end of the day, she's going to come out as strong as ever because she's mother fucking Wonder Woman.
  • What I liked most:  Diana & Steve ''remembering'' together.
  • What I disliked most: THAT ENDING REALLY HURT BUT I DID LIKE IT!
  • Rating: 5  out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
It was all just a lie.
Detective Comics #945

I know Bruce was trying to be reassuring and help Steph in the hospital but I laughed when he sat at the edge of her bed and the cape went all ''whoosh-y'' behind him. Like damn Batman  do you keep a fan around to make that happen?

I didn't read the first two parts of  this story arch but like Kat said, I was fine with reading it.  I want to hug Stephanie and Cassandra and even Clay-Face, tell them that the work they are doing is having an impact but you know, fictional characters and all that jazz. Anyways, this was a great jumping point for me to get back into the Detective Comics story before I go back and read where I got behind on.
  • What I liked most:  LUKE FOX AS BATWING, ADORABLE!
  • What I disliked most: That ending was sad, DAMN IT DC, STOP IT!
  • Rating: 5  out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
Yeah, sorry. Not exactly the praying type. The blue-hared bi girl contingent isn't exactly top on the prayer list.
Civil War 2 #7


So, like everything else in this pull list minus Spider-Gwen and The Hellblazer, the last issue I read for Civil War 2 was #4 I think?

I see the team's have become smaller, whoops. I just want to know, IS IT DONE YET? CAN I FINALLY ENJOY ALL OF MY MARVEL COMICS AGAIN OR IS EVERYTHING GOING TO STILL BE CIVIL WAR 2 TIE IN'S? PLEASE, LET IT BE OVER SO I CAN ENJOY ALL OF THE COMICS I READ?!

This was a cool issue though, I loved the art like I have from the start, I love the sass it manages to have even while everything's going to shit but really, as a whole, I'm still mixed on the whole Civil War 2 story-line. Which is why I had no trouble temporarily falling behind on this story. Nevertheless, I am excited to read the ''last'' issue of this story-line at last.
  • What I liked most: OLD MAN LOGAN.
  • What I disliked most:  That ''Her who?'' bullshit. 
  • Rating: 3.5 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
Where are we?Looks like Jersey.
The Hellblazer #4


Last months issue ended with John coming back to Chas being held hostage by some bookies he owes money to. This month's issue focused on John and Chas dealing with said bookies and Swamp Thing with Mercury dealing with the Green. Both story-lines played out in ways I loved and hated.

What I loved;

  • John and Chas having one on one time, very briefly, where Chas got to snap about the whole ordeal.
  • The Bookie was a typical ''Wanker'' and he entertained me. I'm happy to see John deal with something so normal compared to what's about to happen to him.
  • Mercury's friendship with Swamp Thing, it's so cute to see the lil girl I ''met'' in the original Hellblazer run get to meet the Swamp Thing.

What I disliked;
  • I have mixed feeling on the art for this series. I enjoy it and it's bright colors but sometimes it just bothers me. I think it's simply because I really enjoy the classic 80's style art and the short City of Demons trade so much. I'm still adjusting to gruesome John Constantine in lighter colors.
  •  **We don't talk about the New 52 run people.**
  • What I liked most; 
  • What I disliked most:  SWAMP THING, I'M WORRIED FOR YOU.
  • Rating:  4.5 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
Shut up! I want to hear what ''Lager-Top Harry Bloody Potter'' here has to say.''


My rankings this week;

  1. Batgirl #5
  2. The Hellblazer #4
  3. Spider-Gwen #14
  4. The Ultimates 2 issue 1
  5. Wonder Woman #11
  6. Detective Comics #945
  7. Civil War 2 #7


Mimi Schweid Related Links!


Let us know in the comments what you think of this Comic Frontline article, and don't forget to follow us on Twitter for the latest Previews, Reviews, News and Interviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment